Saturday, March 29, 2008

Top 10 movie list

I was sitting around thinking of a movie still to print out and put on my wall at work for some daily inspiration, and I was totally clueless! Strange since film is supposed to be something pumping through my veins 24/7 and I should be able to recite evey line of dialogue from Citizen Cane like it was the alphabet.

And then like a falling star Moonstruck is on TV one random Saturday afternoon. I don't think anyone will ever take my recommendation seriously with a lineup including Cher and Nick Cage. But I'm telling you- this is some of the best dialogue and best acting and best subtle metaphors and allegorical themes that I keep on coming back to almost ten years after originally screening it.

So here are my top ten in no particular order. And this isn't supposed to be some snooty film-school list either:

1) Moonstruck- Norman Jewison
2) One Flew over the Cookoo's Nest- Milos Forman
3) In the Heat of the Night- Norman Jewison
4) The Conversation- Frances Ford Coppola
5) Little Dieter Learns to Fly- Werner Herzog
6) Bamboozled- Spike Lee
7) Fury- Fritz Lang
8) On the Waterfront- Elia Kazan
9) The Passenger- Michaelangelo Antonioni
10) Adaptation- Charlie Kaufman (who should get the real credit, not Spike Jonze)